Friday, February 15, 2008

Reality Check 1

It is understood that we are products of the influences in our environment. As a musician, I am a product of arts organizations with good leadership and cultural initiative. Arts agencies supported me in the beginning. Arts groups and patrons bought my first clarinet; they also provided for me amazing experiences at arts festivals, camps, and competitions. Arts organizations have supported me in college. These organizations have purchased my textbooks, supplies and even bought food. Leaders and teachers in these organizations inspired me to continue pursuing a performance career in the arts despite the harrowing realities of a lifetime pursuit of excellence. They provided means for me to creatively contribute to my community and become an effective citizen. It is these arts organizations that I blame when it is difficult, that I go to for help, and that I thank for their existence. I have a debt to repay and I know it will accrue interest in the future. My life's work may be the only way to give back.




Me and my roommate Armando at the National Gallery of Art.








The world environment, however, is changing. Our society spends more time with technology than we do with the people surrounding us; the people with perspectives, the people with stories, the people with dreams, the people with talents, the people living. It is easy to be distracted by our environment. We find ourselves spending less time in the performance space and more time as consumers of electronics. This current of behavior is not an obstacle for the arts, but will definitely require arts organizations to adjust. This is where I want to help.

As a classical clarinetist, I have performed in different capacities with the symphony orchestra, wind ensemble, opera, musical, and even in marching band. The audiences of each are very, very different. People will go to the events where they feel they are welcome to experience something that is meaningful to their existence. They want to feel included, they want to feel entertained, questioned and essentially subjected to an arts experience. They want to feel needed. Not all arts organizations see the need to diversify their audience, yet many commission new music, for a traditional audience. Who will continue to listen?

I believe the best way to do this is to diversify programming that is outreaching for diversity—inclusive of minorities and youth. Multidisciplinary arts programs would be more effective and would involve many arts, artists and more reception.

I attended a production of The Whiz as performed by the students at the Duke Ellington School for the Arts in Washington, DC where I am currently interning with the National Endowment for the Arts. I watched a kaleidoscope of cultures as teachers, parents, and friends entered the auditorium. I saw the presence of pride and appreciation as they were all so very excited for what was about to happen on stage that collaborated all of the school's arts departments. Smiles and laughs of fellowship permeated the experience. As "Glenda," the good witch, descended from the sky of the stage to tell Dorothy that the power was within her self, I glanced over and saw a little girl mimicking the motions of the talented student before her. The two connected. She became the actress that, to her, represented something that she wanted to become—an influence in her environment. I only hope that my future in arts management and leadership may inspire others to be inspiring.

I must repay.


Curtain call at the Duke Ellington School for the Arts.

No comments: