Sunday, March 9, 2008

Java House: Dupont Circle, 17th & P Streets

House White Mocha & Jumbo Choco-Cookie

Java House is a great pit stop near 17th and P which is very close to The Washington Center headquarters.

Doing homework at the Java House Café in the Dupont Circle business district.

Nonprofit Leadership=Self-sacrifice?

If world business leaders were on a "fierce" reality TV show and challenged in effective staff development, the panel, which would undoubtedly include a celebrity guest (me), would first say, "Nonprofit leaders, please go back to your apartment, pack your bags, and go home." It's a sad day for the nonprofit world, or so they say. The Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer Foundation, Idealist.org, CompassPointNonprofit Services, and The Annie E. Casey Foundation projected a poor future for the nonprofit sector by asking 6,000 next generation leaders about their experiences in the nonprofit world.

I've considered my future in the nonprofit sector, but the results are sobering. Should I promote a cause and potentially suffer sacrifice myself by submitting wholeheartedly? When do I begin to consider my own life development? Which comes first? Reva Price said lifestyle considerations always come first. Price, minority Advisor to Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, spoke to my Johns Hopkins Nonprofit Management course (through TWC) at the Capitol this Monday (3/3/2008) about the state of the nonprofit industry the day the Washington Post published news of this report. Price has twenty-five years of experience in the nonprofit sector. She also switched to working for the government, and stressed the importance of considering ourselves and our need for change. Price mentioned that people enter the sector with the wrong image in mind and quickly change into different careers. This is a statistical malady, I think, because it covers the hard workers enjoying their work at the grass roots level. Regardless, the study warns that the sector has long hours, little pay, poor advancement opportunities, and little diversity in leadership. I also considered the issue of women and diversity in the sector. Like government, it is a white male-dominated arena. She told us about her issues with this problem which didn't stop her despite the obvious injustices in this system. This is very true. Leadership is a problem. I'm sure it's even more of a problem considering the nonprofit sector's few resources. The report does highlight positives. The workforce behind the nonprofit industry is extremely motivated. In fact, it may be the most motivated network of people dedicated to their causes. One in three respondents, despite the harrowing economic realities aspires to become an executive director. Higher percentages of these individuals are people of color. All the above feel prepared to lead within five years.



Fellow TWC interns at the Johns Hopkins Nonprofit Management course meeting at the Capitol.


Office of the Speaker of the House balcony view overlooking the National Mall.

I'm so concerned about the state of the Arts community in terms of education and minority audience development. Now, I'm really considering the ramifications of such a career choice. "What type of lifestyle do you want?" The question feels a bit too foreign. Price summarily told us that she just wanted something different and so she found that something in her work for the government. The idea that I should focus my energies on attaining the type of lifestyle that I want just doesn't sit well with me. It's funny how we use societal influence on the choices that should involve our own personal reflection. Honestly, I feel a little defiant right now while writing. "RING THE ALARM!" (Obviously I had to throw a little Beyonce in there.) Nonetheless, if I decide to enter the nonprofit sector, I've really got to consider my role as a leader. Peter F. Drucker gives beautiful examples on the essence of good leadership in his text, Managing the Non-Profit Sector, required reading for the Johns Hopkins class. He asks us to consider a different question, "What do you want to be remembered for?"

…before I continue, my cup is empty.

1 comment:

Shawn said...

Afetr come through this article, i cam eon the result that i am too quite same like you, when i am in the process of reading, i think it would be my story, i really feel very happy, thanks brother for that posting.

Shawn
------------------------------
http://www.smartloc.net